Home > History
Oldest Jeweler in Western New York
Scherer’s Jewelers has been dedicated for over 110 years and five generations to quality craftsmanship and excellence in the jewelry industry in Western New York. Scherer’s Jewelers is one of the oldest continuously family-owned businesses in New York State.
The family tradition began on September 8, 1903 when Jerome A. Scherer, great-grandfather of the present owner, opened Scherer’s Jewelers at 312 Masten Street in Buffalo, New York. In February of 1905, he moved the business to a newly constructed store at 1382 Fillmore Avenue. A father to son tradition was initiated when Jerome’s son, H. Jerome, a watchmaker and jewelry designer, joined the business. H. Jerome’s skills with precision mechanisms were so recognized that he was often called upon to repair some of the tower clocks that dotted the Buffalo skyline.
The tradition continued when H. Jerome’s son, Jerome J. Scherer Sr., took over the business, having worked in the store since the early 1930s. In the fall of 1967, Jerome Sr. relocated the business to Main Street in Amherst, almost directly across the street from the present location.
The family tradition blossomed again in the 1970s when Jerome (Jay) Scherer, Jr., a graduate of the Gemological Institute of America, and Richard Scherer, Sr., a graduate of the Bowman Technical Institute and Gemological Institute of America, joined their father. Then in 2012, Christopher Scherer, a graduate of the University at Buffalo School of Architecture, joined his father Richard and uncle in the business. This assures that the family tradition will continue to blossom, Christopher Scherer is the fifth generation of Scherer's.
Over a century since its founding, Scherer’s Jewelers continues to maintain a reputation for quality service and honesty in Western New York.